Growing up I was never really
taught exactly how to deal with anger. Being the oldest of four I was taught to
be the mediator for my brothers. I was always a kind hearted child which led to
issues. I was picked on constantly while growing up because of it. I was never
really fought back I would just bottle up the anger and keep moving. This of course
was not wise or healthy. I bottled up
the anger to the point that I couldn’t take it anymore and retaliated. Once
those who bullied me tried to become physical I got physical too. After that
moment I was no longer bullied but I didn’t like the feeling that I got after.
I began to work on controlling my anger better. As I got older I began to see
how much I was like the both of my parents, in regards to how I handle my
anger. When my mother was angry she would lash out in a blind rage for long
periods of time. Once she is upset it’s hard to get her to think about anything
else. My father however was the exact
opposite of my mother. You could rarely ever tell when my father was upset. He
would just go about his day as if nothing ever happened. If he were to ever get
angry and lose his composure he would quickly snap out of it. At times it felt
as if both of these tendencies are fighting for dominance. When I truly get
upset I can lash out at those who hurt me but I always catch myself. It is hard
for me to stay made for a long period of time because I feel that it is both
pointless and a waste of time. I try my
best to remain neutral and aware of others feelings when I approach a
situation.
Now as far as anger goes in theater
I try to avoid it. Once I am in a professional setting I try my best to separate
business from personal. It is important to remain professional even during
tense moments. If I were to lose my cool on the job I could get fired or worse.
Regardless of what may be going on personally or during a show it is important to
stay on task and focus on getting the job done. In the real world there will
always be those that critics you and the work you do. The moment you give
those that critics you a reaction we have either proved them right or given
them the satisfaction of seeing you fall.
Anger in the work place can be your biggest down fall. If your know to
lose you temper often while making a decision with your group then no one would
wont to work with you. The ability to work well with others is one of the most
important skills required for our field. I personally have not encountered any moments
while working a show that made me angry, sometimes annoyed but never angry. I
have thou seen others respond in angry while making decisions on a production.
I did my best to avoid involvement form the situation because this was supposed
to be a professional setting and the cause of the anger was due to personal
events. We must remember to express our anger in a constructive way whether in
a professional or nonprofessional setting. It important not to bottle up your
anger however don’t let your anger get you in trouble.

No comments:
Post a Comment