Monday, April 20, 2015

Journal 12



The same basic it tropes or plots can be found in just about every mainstream TV show or play. The rope used depends on the audience the producer is trying to reach. For example Fox’s new show Empire is a prime example of this. Even though I enjoy this show it does also carry the same typical type of tropes. The tropes I get tired of seeing the most on t.v. are the black drug dealer who makes it but always goes back to being a thug. There is also always the damaged woman who doesn’t know she is beautiful and allows men to beat and take advantage over her. Life Time is a tv station that thrives on that trope. All of the Real Housie Wives shows rely on what every negative tropes apply to that group. For example every time there is any type of reunion there must be a fight or big “ratchet” moment. That’s why I like Kevin Heart’s new series Hollywood House Husbands because it makes fun of all of the tropes found in that genre.
I honestly meet t.v. shows from the late 90’s like A Different World or Boy Meets World. These shows did use some common tropes but they also went against them. For example in Boy Meets World Topanga was pretty much in control of both Corey and Shaun throughout the entire serious. He thing that made all of these shows so popular is that the seemed real. I could be argued that Empire and Life Time movies also mimic someone’s real life but that doesn’t mean it should be shown all the time. If shows didn’t rely so much on these basic tropes then it would causes writers to be a little more creative.    

No comments:

Post a Comment