I agree with the quote, “Shame is a
controlling device. Shaming someone is an attempt to prevent that person from
behaving in a way that embarrasses us. Shame could be describe as that little
voice in that back of our mind that tells us something may be deemed in
appropriate. However this depends on the individual and the environment they
are in. For example if I were in an Amish community I couldn't shame someone
for not knowing how to use a cell phone. Since the Amish don't use technology
then that would be considered the norm. Like most situations it is important
that we keep an open mind. Just because I may be a little more reserved than
some of my friends doesn’t mean I should feel ashamed or shame them for it. We
each have our own individual personality which makes us who we are. However as
I said earlier time and place also play a major factor.
A few weeks ago my service
fraternity was holding an informational in coats hall. During this
informational we were making mardi gras mask for the children at Our Lady of
the Lake Hospital. One of our members decided she wanted to play music as we
worked I told her it was find as long as it was appropriate. She loves all
kinds of music but favors music that could be defined as ratchet music. The
first song she played had a lot of cursing and unappropriated content. Even
though some of the people there began to enjoy it and sing along, other began
to look uncomfortable. I told that this music was unappropriated but she failed
to see it that way and got mad. I realized that she truly didn't understand how
the mood had changed because that’s just how she was. Instead of arguing with
her I decided it would be best to show her what I meant. I decided to switch
the Michael Jackson/Motown channel and everyone became happy. I showed her how
now everyone was socializing and signing along. Shame can be used to teach
someone a lesson they may not truly understand otherwise. The key is not to let
the shame prevent them from moving forward. You’re shaming someone can quickly
turn into guilt if you aren’t careful.
Guilt is the feeling of wrong doing
to others. Making someone feel guilt is only slight different for shaming
someone. For example if someone in an Amish
community were to be found playing video games they would feel guilty. They
would feel guilty for forsaking the way of life they chose to uphold. You feel
guilty whenever you make a promise you cannot keep. Unlike shame, which general
comes for others, guilt comes from within us.
No comments:
Post a Comment